Monday, October 8, 2007

To Be or Not to Be

It’s been just over a month since my arrival in Buxton. As I become more and more familiar in my surroundings I’ve noticed an internal struggle with myself. I am becoming more comfortable with my new “language”, understanding more and more words. But I am now struggling with whether I should be using them or not.

I feel like if I do use the words I’m just faking it and it’s not authentic. But by using my “American” words for things I feel like people think I am trying too hard to be American. That I am being inflexible.

When does it become natural and comfortable to speak like a native? What do people think of me using my American words? What do people think of me using British words?

I remember my sophomore year of college in my multicultural education class we had extended conversations about assimilation vs. acculturation. It was something that I struggled with in Germany as a first grader, even thought I obviously didn’t realize it at the time. And I assumed that I would never struggle with it again. But I was wrong. I want to keep my identity as an American. It’s who I am and who I will always be. Spending time in England is showing me that it’s actually even something to be proud of! But I don’t want to be viewed as the ugly American who can’t adapt to new cultures and customs.

The other day Steve asked me if it’s weird to hear an American accent cause I’m so used to the English one, or if the English one still sounds odd. After thinking about it for a second, I realized that both accents stick out to me. I’m stuck in the middle.

Both my mom and Steve are so adiment that I don’t come home with a British accent. However, some of my friends are hoping that I’ll come home with a British accent—or at least able to do a good fake.

It’s interesting to see how much a variation in the same language can give you a mild identity crisis.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

In response to the quandary "when to start using British sayings," I will reveal a recent similar struggle of my own:

Just over a year ago, at the start of my career, I was overwhelmed with new DoD (Department of Defense), missile/rocket, and engineering terminology and culture. After months of careful listening and note taking I found myself in your shoes: should I try, and mess up/sound fake? Or continue to be the new guy who uses layman's terms all day?

One day some time later, however, I woke up and realized that I had been using the terminology without knowing it. It had become so natural that I didn't even think about it. Just flowed off the tongue.

That's what I'm thinking will happen to you... it may even happen sooner for you, since you are naturally better at languages (even have a degree in the matter!)

Good luck! But please, don't pick up the accent!