Thursday, January 31, 2008

The best end to a week

Each Friday has been the highlight of my weeks in England. Around 5:30pm, I go home with Chriss and her eldest son, Thom to their home in Furness Vale—about a 30 minute drive. Chriss is a staff member at Charis House and also one of the youth leaders at the church Charis House is associated with in Whaley Bridge. It’s wonderful having the opportunity to have a home-cooked meal with a family. Chriss' family consists of Nigel, Chriss, Thom, Lizi, and Alex.

I'm not quite sure what Nigel does, but I know that he is also a volunteer fire-fighter. As I mentioned earlier, Chriss works at Charis House. She is on the community support team, which works with clients in the community. Thom is 22 and teaches music technology at the University of Derby- Buxton. Lizi is 20 and is studying art at the University of Stafford in Stoke-en-Trent. She comes home occasionally on weekends, but we keep in touch on Facebook while she's away! Alex is 18 and finishing up his last year at "college" (high school). He hopes to study marine engineering next year.

Last Friday Thom and I had a competition naming all 50 states in the US. He won; but only because 1) I helped him quite a bit and 2) I forgot to write down some that I named out loud! We have a great time comparing cultures and learning from each other. Thom and Lizi spent a few weeks in the US a few years ago and we have a great time talking about our observations of our foreign lands and experiences.

After dinner we get ready for youth group at Good News Family Church in Whaley Bridge. Chriss, Nigel, and Thom are all leaders for the youth group and Alex is still a member of the group. But since he is one of the oldest members, he has also taken on a leader-type role.

I am so thankful that they have been kind enough to adopt me into their family--even for one night of the week. Dinner with their family and youth group is the best way I could end the week.

No comments: