Saturday, January 19, 2008

21+2


So Thursday was my first birthday away from home. Although I had to spend most of the day traveling from Wales back home to Buxton, it was a great day.

The morning started with everyone at the TFG conference singing happy birthday to me and another volunteer from Sweden. I'm definitely not a fan of being sung too, but I guess it really wasn't that bad. Then we all said good-byes since we were split on two different buses.

After a two hour bus ride from Mid-Wales to the Birmingham train station we had several hours to kill before our trains back to our various placements departed. Amy and I returned to Buxton around 4:30pm. Tammy and Lisa bought all the fixings for a Mexican feast. We made tacos, fajitas, and burritos. I made fresh guacamole with some green chile and salsa from home. But the best finishing touch was Jo and Lisa bought a piƱata for me!!! I've named him Juan.

Tammy, Amy, Jo, Lisa, Naomi, and Matt were all there for the fiesta. It was the best birthday I could have had away from home. I was able to spend it with my American buddies, new friends from England, and food from home.

No comments: