Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Learning a new language

When I first learned I was going to be serving in the UK I was very excited that I was not going to have many language struggles. However as I'm beginning my second week in Buxton, it's become apparent that I am having language struggles and they won't be subsiding anytime soon. Most of these are just funny anecdotes, but there are the occasional frustrations and they mostly come when I'm working with children.

I've began a list of odd words I've encountered over the past week and I'm sure as the year progresses I'll have many more. But here is the start of my list:
*bin- trash can
*dummy- pacifier
*poorly- sick/ill
*tea- dinner/supper/and of course of the drink
*dinner- lunch
*supper- late night snack
*knackered- exhausted
*hoovering- vacuuming
*jumper- sweater
*mobile- cell phone
*crikey- geez (or any other equivalent)
*fortnight- two weeks time
*pudding- dessert
*chips- french fries
*crisps- chips (as in the potato kind)
*football- soccer
*college- last two years of high school
*university (more commonly uni)- college
There are others that I've noticed but can't remember now...

Another difference I struggle with is the way they say times. Half seven means seven-thirty. However, in my German studies I learned that "halb sieben" (half seven) means six-thirty. I'm still clarifying when someone tells me times. It's a little frustrating, but I'm used to asking language questions, so it's not terrible.

Last week I was playing with Liam (7) and Ethan(5). Ethan picked something up off the floor and was playing with it. I asked him to put it in the trash. He looked at me so I repeated myself. He asked me where to put it and I quickly remembered the "proper" word: bin. Once I asked him to put it in the bin he sprang into action.

On Monday I was playing with Mercedes (5) and Holly (3). Mercedes kept coughing. I asked her if she was getting sick. She looked at me in confusion so I repeated my self. Then she replied "No I'm not sick, I don't feel well."

It helps to have the mother's of children around when I'm talking to them for "translation" purposes. Since they are used to American movies, TV shows, and music they understand me much better than their young children. But I'm put to the test when I'm by myself with the kids. I've also noticed that they have a hard time understanding me and I usually have to repeat myself once or twice. It becomes a little tedious and frustrating.

Yesterday I was being introduced to a woman at Little Fishes (a weekly group for mom's with children under 5). Sarah said "And Christina's from America aren't you?" The woman I was being introduced to said "Well I think I've gathered that". I laughed and said "What gave me away". It had obviously been my accent--or lack of one.

It also makes me giggle a little to hear the Brits pronounce words ending in "a" since it sounds like "er". So my name goes from being Christina to "Christiner" whose from "Americer". Although I love hearing English spoken with a British accent, I've noticed that if I'm not in a position where I can add lip reading to listening I really struggle to understand them. Speaking on the phone has proven to be the most frustrating for this reason.

Stay tuned for more language blunders between American and British English. They certainly are two different languages.

No comments: