Thursday, September 27, 2007

Being on the Wrong Side

I've mentioned that I'm having difficulty crossing the roads in England due to the English driving on the wrong side of the roads. Over the past week or so I've discovered some new problems with being on the wrong side.

When walking on the sidewalk it is quite a disconcerting feeling the hear/feel and car come whizzing up behind you with no more than 3 feet from your precious body to the metal cage.

The worst one is however being in the car. It is still a very odd feeling to be in the front seat on the drivers side but having no control over the car's movements, since you are actually in the front seat on the passengers side. This uncomfortable feeling is made worse by being on the wrong side of the road. I am constantly expecting on-coming traffic to hit us head-on since my car is in the wrong lane. And then I realize that we are all on the wrong side and if we all stay on the wrong side we shouldn't have any major collisions. But with all these complications of being on the wrong side combined with the narrow and winding roads though the British country-side leads to a queesy feeling in the tummy.

Normally I am not one to get car-sick. In fact putting me in the car was the only way my parents could get me to sleep and now that I'm older being in the car has always been a soothing sensation. That was until you put me on the wrong side. Even a 20 minute drive through the country-side is enough for me to regret eating breakfast.

I recommend bringing dramamine before any adventures on the wrong side.

No comments: