Thursday, August 30, 2007

I think I need more sweaters!!!!

I woke up this morning to the gray, sad sky that you hear about in England. And it's just as sad and gray as you'd imagine. I bundled up like I would for a winter's day back home.

Amy and I went to the Charis house about 1PM after sleeping in again. We had more orientation--or induction--with Mary. I also had my first cup of British tea. Pretty sure it's an acquired taste. After a few hours at the Charis house, Tammy took Amy, Cida, and I to the center of town where the shops are. It's a lovely, typical European main street lined with coffee houses, and random stores. I instantly fell in love with it. I even found a store with some scrapbooking supplies.

Tammy left early to run some errands. Amy, Cida and I continued wandering and exploring. Cida doesn't speak much English at all, so Amy and I were trying to teach her some phrases. She can repeat very well and I think she knows more than she lets on. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for her to be here and struggling with the language on top of everything else. We had a great time though. I found a store that has some scrapbooking things. There's also a Subway restaurant and a KFC. Familiarity is very comforting!!! Cida took us to the Pavilion Gardens--absolutely gorgeous!!! We also stopped by the opera house which is currently showing The Twelfth Night and Annie.

Mich cooked us dinner--shepherds pie with gravy and cooked veggies. Exactly what I would have imagined for a British dinner. I tried a new type of soda today--dandelion and something else. A little like rootbeer but it also had a licorice taste...I'm still deciding whether I liked it or not, haha!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Christina writes very cool blogs, don't you think? From a totally objective reviewer (her father)

Judy Messal said...

Beautiful photos! Wish I were there. It is still too hot here. Sweaters soon will be on the way.